18/07/2013

I SAW A MAN DIE TODAY

I saw a man die today.
I saw him step to the edge.
Then I saw him step off.
I watched him fall.
A life came to a violent end.
In an instant.
A world was destroyed.
And there would be repercussions.
I felt the concussion like a bullet through the heart.
And I remember all those times I want to die.
And those times I tried.
But I am still here.
I am still alive.
But, why not him?
How can someone just lose all hope like that?
I am broken inside.
My mind, in fragments.
Fractured are my heart and soul.
I know the suffering.
I know the agony.
It is beyond all description.
I think to myself,
Would have I stepped off the edge?
I've heard it said that suicide is a coward's way out.
I questions that most strongly.
A coward is someone who never realizes the need.
The need within us all.
 He just will not admit that there even is a need.
A coward is someone who calls someone else a coward.
A coward is someone who sees the pain in someone's eyes.
And just keeps on as though nothing were wrong.
No, giving up on one's own life is not an act of cowardice.
It is the one who saw that need that went unmet.
And did nothing to meet it.
I saw a man die today.
And it fills me with grief.
My heart is wretched with sorrow.
Oh the pain!
Oh the hurt!
Oh the harm!
Where is the love?
Can you tell me, coward?

SCOTT DAVID BUCKLEY

DEDICATED TO ALL THOSE LOST SOULS, LOST NEEDLESSLY. ONCE AGAIN TO THE TRUE KILLER, SILENCE. AND MUCH WORSE THE SILENCE OF A COWARD, WHO SAW THE NEED AND LET IT GO UNANSWERED.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think of this poem.